NewsWorthy.ca is a project I’ve been working on for the past few months. In a nutshell, it’s a better way to get all the latest local news in one place. Sites like Reddit and Google News are a good way to get the “best” or “most important” stories of the day. But they sometimes fail at surfacing up to date, breaking news. If you’re a news hound like me, I think you’ll find NewsWorthy quite useful.
With Google announcing their intentions to shut down Google Reader, today seemed like the perfect day to pull off the “alpha” wrapper and release it to the wild!
At the moment, NewsWorthy only supports Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal. I’m looking for the best news source in every Canadian city. If you’d like to recommend sources in your city, feel free to email me.
…by Jeffery Zeldman, I trimmed my blog down to one column.
Now off to bed.
First issue of the ohryan.ca newsletter went out yesterday.
If you missed it, you can read it here.
Canadian Tech Roundup posts are moving to their own blog, will no longer be posted here.
Well hello 2011!
Had the itch to write a blog post tonight and realized I hadn’t come up with any top 10 lists yet this year! So here’s a no brainer, top 10 blog posts that generated traffic for me this year.
- How To: Watch Hulu in Canada. The Definitive Guide. In July I came up with a method for watching Hulu in Canada (internationally actually), without the use of a proxy. I posted about it on Reddit, Lifehacker picked it up. Over 200,000 people read the LH post, 17,000 visitors made it to ohryan.ca; Hulu freaked (I’m assuming) and closed the hole.
- How To: Watch Comedy Central Videos From Canada. Again, no proxies required. As far as I know this method still works just fine.
- Revisiting Mobile Redirection Using .htaccess ReWrite Rules. A bit of .htaccess magic that redirects mobile browsers to a given URL. The post is almost two years old and it still pulls in quite a bit of search traffic.
- .htaccess Mobile Browser Redirect. Same as #3, older method. I’m surprised the search engines have started redirecting all traffic to the newer post.
- 5 Reasons Tim Hortons Sucks. Self-explanatory.
- How To: Watch Hulu in Canada. A New Method. In November I came up with a new workaround to watch Hulu internationally. As far as I know this method stopped working about a week after I posted it.
- How To Delete All Contacts From Gmail. It’s not really as difficult to do this anymore, but the post is still relevant.
- iWatch. The iPhone Watch. I took a picture of myself wearing an iphone around my wrist as a watch, gets a bunch of traffic from Google image search for some reason. Lulz.
- The Best iPhone App – Taskbar Notifier. Another older post, my mini-review of the “taskbar notifier” app for jailbroken iPhones.
- Firesheep: A Valid Reason to Fear WiFi or How To Hack Your Wife’s Facebook. Firesheep is a tool for sniping sessions over wifi, it’s very bad.
Based on this list of posts, it looks like a good New Years resolution would be to write some content that actually garners traffic.