Update: I am sorry to report that Tunlr is no longer supporting Netflix. See their blog for more info. If you know of another FREE DNS service please leave a comment.
My friend Ron tipped me off to this free DNS service that allows you to watch Netflix (and other US geo-restricted content) outside of the USA! For free! (Did I mention that it’s free?) These guys are calling themselves Tunlr. I love these services. Unlike VPN services, with these DNS redirects your streams don’t get slowed down by being proxied through a US server. We set it up on our AppleTV and it works like a charm!
Here are the instructions for setting up ATV:
- Open Settings
- Open General
- Open Network
- Open Configure TCP/IP
- Select Manually (we assume you already have a fully functional network setup)
- Skip IP address by selecting Done (hit the left button on the remote and press OK)
- Skip Subnet Mask by selecting Done
- Skip Router Address by selecting Done
- Use 126.96.36.199 when asked for the DNS address and select Done
- Select Restart in the General menu
Instructions for other devices can be found on their site.
Edit: I should mention, that if you have a number of devices on your home network that you wish to use to access US services, you’re probably better off setting your router’s DNS to Tunlr.
Like this post? Tip me with bitcoin!
If you enjoyed reading this post, please consider tipping me using Bitcoin. Each post gets its own unique Bitcoin address so by tipping you’re not only making my continued efforts possible but telling me what you liked.