Update: I am sorry to report that Tunlr is no longer supporting Netflix. See their blog for more info. If you know of another FREE DNS service please leave a comment.
My friend Ron tipped me off to this free DNS service that allows you to watch Netflix (and other US geo-restricted content) outside of the USA! For free! (Did I mention that it’s free?) These guys are calling themselves Tunlr. I love these services. Unlike VPN services, with these DNS redirects your streams don’t get slowed down by being proxied through a US server. We set it up on our AppleTV and it works like a charm!
Here are the instructions for setting up ATV:
- Open Settings
- Open General
- Open Network
- Open Configure TCP/IP
- Select Manually (we assume you already have a fully functional network setup)
- Skip IP address by selecting Done (hit the left button on the remote and press OK)
- Skip Subnet Mask by selecting Done
- Skip Router Address by selecting Done
- Use 220.127.116.11 when asked for the DNS address and select Done
- Select Restart in the General menu
Instructions for other devices can be found on their site.
Edit: I should mention, that if you have a number of devices on your home network that you wish to use to access US services, you’re probably better off setting your router’s DNS to Tunlr.